Monday, August 8, 2016

Interview with mystery author Charles W. Massie

Today’s guest is mystery author Charles W. Massie. We’re chatting about this new true crime thriller novel, The Red Road to Hades. 

Bio:
Charles Massie, the oldest of four children, grew up in upstate New York. After finishing high school, he enlisted in the United States Navy and served a total of six years at various ports around the world. Returning to civilian life, he continued his education at Syracuse University and eventually worked for a number of engineering firms before finding his calling in the sales field. Having an entrepreneurial spirit, he decided to go off on his own and has been instrumental in overseeing such companies as Massie Engineering Associates, InfoTech Consulting, LLC, and CaterCats Catering.

The call of creative expression has always been in the background of his life and over the years, he has submitted articles and stories to Twilight Zone Magazine, Readers Digest, Analog Publications and others.

His hobbies, when he is not writing, include progressive rock music, computers and other toys, traveling and enjoying the gifts that he has been blessed with. He loves animals, humor, exotic cars and practicing random acts of kindness.

He lives in the Commonwealth of Kentucky and New York State and maintains his website at: www.starshowpublications.com.


Welcome, Charles. Please tell us about your current release.
Imagine your life is moving in a gulley. You are not getting ahead but you are not falling behind either. You analyze the situation and decide to move to a more southern locality. A new place that offers more opportunity and more excitement. Perhaps even a new romance.

This is the story of a retired gentleman from New York who yearns to improve his life on many levels. He meets a woman on Craig's List who offers all the things he desires. She is a beautiful redhead; a business owner who is smart, funny and resides in a part of the world he has considered for his new habitat. They engage in lively chat, by both email and telephone. She finally invites him to visit her in Kentucky, where she lives and works.

Deciding to take a chance, he agrees to take a trip to meet her face-to-face. Their meeting is absolute magic. They have so many common likes; he is feeling he has met his soul-mate. Their days are filled with love and laughter, as they thoroughly enjoy each others company.

But the real fireworks happen in the bedroom.

Even though neither of them are 'spring chickens', their sexual responses to each other can rival couples half their age. They decide to move-in together and start a new chapter in their lives. Only one problem exists.

The lady is a Black Widow in disguise.

The story now becomes a painful voyage into perdition. Suffering at the hands of a sadistic lover is only the beginning. Physical and emotional abuse from a corrupt judicial system could possibly lead to his death. With few resources, he pushes on against the powers-that-be. In the face of overwhelming odds, the central character fights to save his life, his honor, and his sanity. Through the journey, the reader discovers how one man used every single ounce of his being to survive.

The Red Road to Hades offers a look at domestic abuse from the male point of view and is a 'must read' for anyone considering an Internet-Based relationship.

What inspired you to write this book?
This book was inspired by true life events that happened to me.

What exciting story are you working on next?
Next on the agenda is a series of cookbooks, followed by a collection of short stories I have written over the last decade. For 2017, I am planning a trilogy dealing with reincarnation.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I've been submitting stories for years, but I first considered myself a writer when I published my first novel, Pinned, A Kentucky True Crime.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
I try to write at least 2,500 words per day, when I'm involved in a project.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I speak from the heart. I don't try to use a lot of word pictures or floral descriptions that are popular with other authors. After the basic framework of the story is done, I go back and make revisions to enhance the action (or non-action) as the case may be.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I'm still a child at heart. If growing up means growing old; I'll pass.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?

Readers are the true gold-standard of any writer. Without readers, there is no need for the writer. I'm lucky that what I write seems to be enjoyable to my audience and I am forever thankful for the acceptance they have given me. I have now written books in true-crime, comedy and young adult genre's. I continually change my output in order to keep people interested, since being a one trick pony is boring. My choice of topics runs along what I enjoy in my personal life. I hope to explore spiritualism, religion and horror in future publications.

Links:

No comments: