Monday, August 29, 2016

Interview with Junk Talk Poet about new chapbook

I’m chatting with Junk Talk Poet about his poetry collection titled, Navigating Nightmare Ecstasy.

Bio:
The Junk Talk Poet is an anonymous poet from the Black Country in the West Midlands of the UK. His debut collection was released at the end of January 2016 and is entitled Navigating Nightmare Ecstasy. The poet also enjoys writing fiction as well as poetry and is set to release a new collection at the beginning of 2017 entitled No Rhyme, No Reason. He also creates poetic short films and audio recordings in an attempt to make poetry accessible to all. The poet is heavily influenced by writers such as William S Burroughs, Allen Ginsberg and Charles Bukowski.

What do you enjoy most about writing poems?
I feel as though writing provides me with a psychological outlet that allows me to declutter my mind. If I am not writing for a lengthy period of time I feel sometimes that life has its ways of creeping up on me. My biggest aspiration regarding the writing of my poems is to make an impression on my readers that allow them to look at something from an angle they may not have seen it from before.

Can you give us a little insight into a few of your poems – perhaps a couple of your favorites?
One of my favourite poems and a poem that has been very well received is Face the Wall, a poem from my latest collection. The poem explores under achievement in schools and combines personal experiences with the subject matter.

Face the Wall

I’m sorry sir but boredom took hold
He kicked my shin beneath the table,
And with that I suppose
You deem me unfit and academically unable.
But I’ll turn and face the wall.

Have you heard the cry of the laid off men
Who queue for bread to feed their own?
They’ve exchanged their heroes for ghosts
For keep sake we’re chained to your thrones,
But I’ll turn and face the wall.

Are you just humans turned into beasts?
Butchering the tradesmen’s hands.
The blood on the torn out carpets
Will we live beneath where Dorothy stands?
But I’ll turn and face the wall.

Tired of lying beneath the rays of the sun
I would much rather feel the rains,
Than the empty wave of boredom
Can you not see my face taste my pain?
I have read what is wrote on the factory wall.

Another of my favourites is The Bucket Shallow which is a shorter poem that explores mental health issues and the way that modern life contributes to its development.

The Bucket Shallow

Buckets so shallow,
Carrying castles
At arm’s length
For Kings to pass through,
For seas to crash through.

Buckets to wallow
Within, holding hearts
At arm’s length
For love to bleed through,
For blades to cut through.

Buckets for memories,
Carrying like bad scents
Of a potent strength
For anxious thoughts to cripple you,
For sadness to defeat you



What form are you inspired to write in the most? Why?
There is no particular poetic style that inspires me, I think subject matter resonates with me more. My favourite poets in Allen Ginsberg and Charles Bukowski strike a chord with me due to their ability to dissect modern life and their unconventional way of describing it.

What type of project are you working on next?
My next project is a follow up poetry collection entitled No Rhyme, No Reason which takes some of the subject matter from the previous collection to that next step. Some of the poems will appear rather controversial and will provide alternative views of society, politics and the world.

When did you first consider yourself a writer / poet?
I don’t think you can ever consider yourself a writer, I still don’t now if I am honest. In my opinion we all have things to say and people who are able to craft their views of the world into poetry and fiction develop a platform in order to disperse their message.

How do you research markets for your work, perhaps as some advice for not-yet-published poets?
I think the best way to research the market for your work is to limit your correspondence to the people who are able to help you and are interested in the genre you are working with. Marketing is a big part of getting your work out there so ground work is imperative if you want to disperse your message far and wide. Make sure you are doing something every day or at least every other day because you only get out what you put in.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
Not many people are aware that the work I produce comes from me as I decided a while back that I wanted to go off radar and anonymously spread my beliefs and views.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
At one time I did want to be a vet and I still have a big passion for the welfare of animals but after being inspired by a secondary school teacher who mentored my writing for several years I found that I enjoyed writing more than any other activity.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
I am not all that interested in making money from my work as I find getting my voice heard as a more important motive for my writing. Anyone interested in reading my latest poetry collection are more than welcome to message me via Twitter, Instagram, and Goodreads and I will happily send a PDF copy to them free of charge.

Other links:
Youtube Poetry Short Films –


Thanks for being here today, Junk Talk Poet!

No comments: