Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Interview with humorist short story writer Kathy Bryson


Short story writer Kathy Bryson is here today and we’re talking about her funny new collection of fantasy-horror-zombie shorts called Giovanni Goes to Med School (The Med School Series Book 1).

Bio:
Kathy Bryson knew she wanted to be a writer when she finished reading through her school and local children's libraries. She honed her writing skills on marketing brochures, websites, and several unfinished manuscripts before going into teaching and finishing award-winning books where she happily skews convention. Kathy lives in Florida where she caters to the whims of spoiled cats and wonders what possessed her to put in 75 feet of flower beds.

Welcome, Kathy. Please tell us a bit about your new collection.
You don’t have to be a medical student to know the dead do not get up and walk around. Anyone who’s buried a pet in the backyard knows the dead don’t walk. They don’t even lurch.

The night-shift in the morgue was supposed to be a chance to study in quiet and off-set ridiculous student loans. Giovanni is stunned when his patient sits up and starts scolding. Now he’s got to convince an unbelieving medical community to take action, so he can get back to learning about the dead – not the undead!

What do you enjoy most about writing short stories?
At first, I wasn’t crazy about short stories or novellas. I like to curl up and read the afternoon away. But life gets crazy, so reading and writing short lets me still enjoy stories while keeping up with work and school and the house and, and, and! Writing short stories really lets you play with the suspense as well!

Can you give us a little insight into a few of your short stories – perhaps some of your favorites?
I’ve read a few, but the one series that stands out in my mind is Cynthia St. Aubin’s Disordered: The Complete Case Files of Dr. Matilda Schmidt, Paranormal Psychologist. Each stands alone but they add up to a hysterically funny look at Greek mythology.

What genre are you inspired to write in the most? Why?
I like to read mysteries and romances, but I write fantasy. This may be because I grew up on Piers Anthony and Robert Asprin, but it could also just be that I have a twisted sense of humor. I love being able to poke fun at and explore life by throwing in those unexpected contrasts – like zombie invasions!

What exciting story are you working on next?
I’m well into the next installment of the further adventures of Giovanni and The Med School series. Not only does he still have 7 semesters to go, I’ve only just started exploring the world of B-movie monsters. Zombies and vampires and werewolves are only the beginning!

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I’ve loved stories since I learned to read. I didn’t even consider another major besides English when I went to college. Somewhere along the way, I realized I was writing a lot more advertising copy than story, so I made the conscious effort to finish a book. Then I concentrated on not being a one-hit wonder, and the whole thing snowballed from there. Now I can’t go more than a day or two without writing at least a paragraph or I get really twitchy.

How do you research markets for your work, perhaps as some advice for writers?
I am very fortunate to work with some lovely, creative people who are at least as twisted and snarky as I am. I just take requests. Yes, Giovanni Goes to Med School is based on a true story with some fact-checking on the decomposition process thrown in.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
The part I find most quirky about writing is that it’s regarded almost with awe, but really it’s a slogfest. Writing is hours and hours of typing and retyping and staring into space trying to think of another word besides ‘looked.’ I end up migrating around the house from sofa to chair to bed to floor, hunting for a comfortable position for just one more hour of typing.


As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A jockey. I was the little girl who loves horses, only I wanted to win the Derby. The problem was I can’t ride and I didn’t stay small. Oh well!

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
Just that I hope you enjoy the story and would really like to know what you think! Leave me feedback. Like all writers, I’m better with feedback!

Links:


Thanks so much for being here today, Kathy.

1 comment:

Kathy Bryson said...

Thanks for having me Lisa. Always fun to talk, read, and write about zombies and other monsters!