Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Interview with short story writer Kristine Raymond


Welcome, Readers. My special guest today is short story writer Kristine Raymond. She’s chatting with me about her new collection of seasonally-themed romance shorts, Seasons of Love.

Bio:
Kristine Raymond didn’t figure out what she wanted to be when she grew up until later in life. You guessed it! It’s being an author. Since writing and publishing her first book in 2013, she’s gone on to complete two romance series – one historical western and one contemporary – write an anecdotal, non-fiction short about her first year as an indie author, and try her hand at contemporary erotic drama. When she’s not writing, she’s learning how to navigate the publishing and promotional side of the business. When she’s not doing that, she enjoys spending time with her husband and furry family, reading, gardening, and binge-watching shows on Netflix.

What do you enjoy most about writing short stories?
It’s fun telling entire stories in such a limited amount of words. Challenging, too. Seasons of Love was interesting to write because the characters in each story have a connection to at least one character in the others. Also, each location is a place I’ve either lived or visited, and drawing on my memories added an authenticity that I hadn’t expected.

Can you give us a little insight into a few of your short stories – perhaps some of your favorites?
Oooh…they’re all my favorites. Lol. Honestly, though, Snowflakes in Winter edges the other three stories out. The chemistry between Alex and Chloe jumps off the page, and they – to date – share with Jack and Landry from Hearts on Fire (Hidden Springs, Book Two) the top spot as my favorite couple.

What genre are you inspired to write in the most? Why?
Romance seems to come pretty naturally to me, maybe because I’m a sucker for happily ever afters, though I like (and write) stories where that love doesn’t come easy. Some ‘bumps in the road’ along the way, maybe a little suspense – those aspects go a long way to making a story great, because even though we all know the main couple is going to end up together by the last page, without some turmoil and tears and what ifs, there’s nothing to root for.

What exciting story are you working on next?
Funnily enough, with all I said about romance in the previous question, I’m taking a break from it and currently working on a mystery. A light-hearted one, for the most part, and there is a relationship (or two) brewing within the plot, so a happily ever after isn’t completely out of the question. I’m aiming for a release date by the end of the year.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I didn’t begin writing until 2013, and there are days even now when I still have trouble thinking of myself as an author. But with fourteen books published, I guess there’s no denying it. Lol.

How do you research markets for your work, perhaps as some advice for writers?
I Google A LOT!! Especially for my historical romance series. I’ve learned things I never thought I’d need to know; for example, the year prophylactics were invented and the types of items that were used in their place. Ouch! You can find anything on the internet if you have the time (and patience) to look, but it’s easy to get so caught up in research that you forget about writing.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I’m not sure if it can be classified as a quirk but I can only write in complete silence. No play lists. No TV on in the background. Just the voices of imaginary people holding conversations in my head. Lol.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A mom. That didn’t pan out for me, though, so I (along with the hubs) ended up rescuing a multitude of fur babies instead. I think they’d agree it worked out for the best.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
I started a YouTube channel called First Pages to promote other authors’ books as well as my own. If you’d like to check it out, you can do so here. I hope you enjoy my stories, and if you haven’t read any yet, please give them a chance. Thanks so much for your support, and I invite you to connect with me via social media or email. And let me know what you think of my books!

Links:

Thanks for joining me today, Kristine!
Thank you, Lisa, for the opportunity to visit your blog today. It’s been a pleasure.

1 comment:

Kristine Raymond said...

Thank you again, Lisa, for allowing me a spot on your blog to talk about Seasons of Love.