Thursday, August 30, 2018

Interview with detective and film noir writer H.M. Howington


Detective and film noir writer Harold Martin Howington (H.M. Howington) is here today to chat a little bit about his new suspense drama, The Redhead.

Welcome, Harold. Please tell us a little bit about yourself.
Hi, my name is Harold Martin Howington, but everyone calls me Marty. I was born on March 24, 1944, in Abbs Valley, Virginia. My family moved from there to Ohio, and we stayed there for several years. My first wife was killed in an auto accident in 1969. I served in the US Army from October 1966 to October 1968. From March 1967 to March 1968, I served in Vietnam, where I was decorated for valor, which I won’t go into now. Through the years, I worked as a musician playing guitar and piano in a road band. I’ve done studio recording and played for other artists in these sessions. I drove a big truck and covered all fifty states, Alaska and Hawaii was by Uncle Sam during the Vietnam War. We stopped in Alaska going over and stopped in Hawaii coming home. I have been in all fifty states. I finally wound up in Florida, where I still live with my wife of thirty-four years. I also performed in our local theater as many different characters in several plays. I did sound and lighting for some plays.

Please tell us about your current release.
Charlie McQuillen is an ex-military intelligence officer who served during World War II. After serving his country above and beyond the call of duty, he retired from the US Army and settled down in Los Angeles, California. He got a job as a police investigator and worked at that until he decided he would try working as a private investigator. His first case kind of fell on him out of sheer luck. So this set him on his way.

What inspired you to write this book?
While reading a book about World War II called Other Losses, I found something very interesting and I thought I should write a story with this information, so I did.


Excerpt from The Redhead:
Her red hair draped down over her shoulders just below her grapefruit sized breast.  I couldn't help think that this girl could be dangerous in a lot of ways.  Deep inside something told me not to trust her, but still I wanted to know what was on her mind.  You could get into trouble sometimes.  I was hoping it wouldn't be this time.


What exciting story are you working on next?
My next story is about a guy found dead in an alley and no one seems to know who he is.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
When my book won some awards, including the da Vinci Eye at the 2018 Eric Hoffer Book Awards and “Best Drama” in a contest by Pacific Book Review.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
I’m retired now so I write as much as I can. I don’t consider myself a full-time writer because of poor vision.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I write comedy plays and I find myself laughing at the stuff I write.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be a cowboy, and drive big trucks. I wanted to write and play music also.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
I would like to thank everyone who buys my book and I would love to meet every one and sign their book.

Thanks for stopping by today, Marty!

No comments: