Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Interview with YA thriller author C.L. Brees

Young adult author C.L. Brees joins me today to chat about this new suspense/thriller, An Unsettled Past.

Bio:
C.L. Brees is a breakout suspense-thriller author from Baltimore, Maryland. An Unsettled Past is the first book in an upcoming series. The second novel, Dark Ending, is slated to be released in Fall 2017.

C.L. is a passionate lover of the criminal justice system, having graduated Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Science in Forensic Studies in 2014 and a Master of Science in Cyber Security in 2015 from the University of Baltimore.

When he isn't busy writing, he enjoys spending time with his friends and family, traveling, cooking, and enjoying all that life has to offer.

Welcome, C.L. Please tell us about your current release.
An Unsettled Past follows the life of Alex Jones as he is trying to finish his final semester of high school in a small suburban town outside Denver, Colorado. Alex is a popular guy; everyone thinks his life is so put together – but no one knows about his dark past.

When he was five his father, an FBI Agent was assassinated in front of his childhood home by a member of the Russian mafia. Unbeknownst to Alex he and his mother become part of the witness protection program to escape becoming their next victims.

Fast forward thirteen years and his father’s past finally catches up with them in a murderous rage.

I think I’ll leave it right there as to not give too much away.

What inspired you to write this book?
To be honest, the books inspiration came when I was 19 (I’m 36 now). I had a terrible nightmare one night of being kidnapped with my best friend and being locked away in a cabin in the woods. This dream terrified me so much that when I woke I sat at my computer and outlined the entire story in one sitting.

What exciting story are you working on next?
Currently, I am about half way through my sequel novel to an Unsettled Past. I am set on the title “Dark Ending” for the next book which I hope to have released by October 2017. All I can say about the next four books is that they follow Alex Jones over time as his life drastically changes and more secrets are discovered.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I remember when I was eight years old, I would sit at my grandmother’s typewriter every weekend and just allow myself to get lost in my imagination. I found the outlet of writing to be a way to escape to another world, except it was a world and story that I created in my head. It was at this point that I first considered myself a writer.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
I do have a full-time day job in addition to being a writer. I work as an Information Technology Auditor with a consulting firm. So although I only write part-time presently, the hope is that one day I’ll be able to devote 100% of my day towards sharing more stories with my readers.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
My biggest quirk is that before I can even write I have to meditate for at least ten minutes beforehand. I feel the relaxation clears my mind and allows me to draw myself into the scene in which I am writing that day.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
When I was a kid all I ever wanted to be was a police officer. There was just something about the field that drew my interest. However, as I got older I discovered forensic science, which to this day always amazes me with the advances that have been made. I loved the thought of catching criminals using science and technology so much that I eventually went on to obtain my bachelors and master’s degrees in the forensics field.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
I’d like to share with the readers that I feel fortunate as a writer. I have spent 17 years struggling to release my book to the public – all because of the fear of failure. But I realized one day that success isn’t the amount of books you sell, but simply that you achieved your goal and shared your words with the world. So a piece of advice to anyone who is aspiring to write – don’t ever give up!!

Links:

Thanks for being here today, C.L.

No comments: