Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Interview with paranormal romance author April Canavan

My special guest today is April Canavan. She’s here to chat about her new paranormal romance novel, Path to the Key.

Bio:
April spends her time wandering through the woods chasing after a precocious child, trying to keep the voices of her characters in check as they tell their stories. Sometimes, though, those characters need to be heard. That’s when you can find April curled up into a ball surrounded by snacks and playlists with her favorite music, fleshing out the stories in her mind’s eye. She is a member of the Maine Romance Writers.

Book Blurb:
Magic is fading throughout the world and the supernatural realms can feel the strain growing daily, but Sarah doesn’t care about any of that. She cares about protecting her son from her vampiric ex-husband who is obsessed with gaining power. She’ll stop at nothing to ensure that Alex doesn’t get his hands on Jackson, even if it means welcoming more vampires and other supernatural beings into her life.

Their journey takes her across the country, seeking the help of a witch that has invaded her son’s dreams. A vampire named Zander threatens to bring all of her carefully constructed walls crashing down. She’ll break every rule and every preconceived notion they have about her, as long as she can save her son and give him the future that was stolen from her. Sarah’s path connects to the very battle that she tries to avoid, and when she embraces not only her growing power, but also her destiny- she might be able to change the tides of fate.

Welcome, April Please tell us about your current release.
Sarah is a mom, plain and simple. And when people ask me about it I like to ask them: If you were a parent, would there be anything you wouldn’t do to protect your child? Sure, she’s a vampire, but that’s just a part of who she is. In a world where everything we’ve only ever thought of as fairytales is actually real, she has to fight for herself AND her child. While she’s doing that, she has to figure out where she stands on falling for a vampire.

What inspired you to write this book?
I would love to have this fascinating story about it, but really I don’t. When I was pregnant with my son I was put on bed rest. And I started to write. I had no idea what I was doing, and it kind of developed into a story that I couldn’t put down.

What exciting story are you working on next?
Well I literally just finished the second book in the series that Path to the Key is in. Phew, it was a doozy. And I’m getting ready to start a short story with two of my favorite characters!

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I guess it’s something that’s only recently happened. Before

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
I do not write full-time. I wish I did, and that’s the goal one day. But for now, I work at a newspaper during the day, and I write at night.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I guess it would be that I like to lean back with my eyes closed and write a bunch of stuff. Most of it ends up on the cutting room floor, but I love the feeling of not really knowing what I’m going to write next.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I always wanted to be a lawyer growing up, actually. Fun fact, I know. But I was passionate about it for a while, until I got bigger and realized I wouldn’t have control over whether or not my clients were innocent. And I’m a terrible liar.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
I just wanted to say thanks for having me, and I can’t wait to see you around the internet!

Links:


Thanks for stopping by and chatting today. Happy writing!

No comments: