Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Interview with novelist Chris Lindberg


Today's guest is author Chris Lindberg. He's touring his novel Code of Darkness through the VBT Cafe.

There are a couple opportunities to win a couple of prizes. Details are below. You don't want to miss out.

Bio:
Chris Lindberg was born and raised outside Chicago, Illinois. After graduating from Northern Illinois University in the mid-1990s, he headed out to the west coast for a couple of years, where he began writing as a casual pastime.

Some time after returning to Chicago he began attending writers workshops at StoryStudio Chicago, where he wrote two character studies, both of which have since been developed into key characters in Code of Darkness.

Chris now lives outside Chicago with his wife Jenny and their two children, Luke and Emma. You might catch him working away on his second novel while commuting on his morning train into the city.

Chris, welcome to Reviews and Interviews. Please tell us about your current release.
Code of Darkness is my first novel. It’s a dark thriller that also has elements of sci-fi and even a little horror. It centers around a mysterious vigilante only known as Rage, and Larry Parker, the Chicago Police officer who is hot on his tail. When Rage’s past catches up with him, a covert Black Ops division within the Pentagon is dispatched to find Rage, and eliminate Parker, who is seen as knowing too much. The deadly chase takes them cross-country to a top-secret military facility, where the greatest danger of all awaits.

What inspired you to write this book?
I’ve always enjoyed stories about darker, misunderstood characters, anti-heroes. Stories about good versus evil, and all of the shades in between. Several years ago, Rage’s character came into my head, so I began writing him. Then another character came, followed by a third. Before I knew it, I had woven them together into a story, which ultimately became the foundation for Code of Darkness.

What exciting story are you working on next?
I’m bouncing back and forth between two projects: a coming-of-age space opera, and an apocalyptic thriller. But I’m getting some welcome feedback from readers that I should be doing a sequel to Code of Darkness, so I suppose I’d better get working on that, too.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I think it kind of happened over time, where I just kept writing, and what I was creating kept getting progressively better … and then before I knew it, I had a whole novel put together. Once I’d finished it and edited it to where it seemed like a complete story, that’s when I finally thought I could call myself a writer.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
I wish I did write full-time, but I have a day job too. And did I mention two kids at home! It’s hard to find the time, but I have the mixed blessing of a long commute to work: I take a train every morning and evening, and that gives me about ninety minutes every day to write.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
Hmm, great question. I’d have to say that since I wrote most of Code of Darkness while riding a commuter train, believe it or not, I find that I write a lot better if I’m in motion. Cars, trains, planes, buses … I get a lot more done in those than while sitting still.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
When I was a kid, I think I originally wanted to be a doctor or a firefighter, but then I started drawing, and wanted to be a cartoonist for the longest time. But the next Charles M. Schulz I was not. I still enjoy drawing every once and again though – maybe I’ll try my hand at a graphic novel someday …

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
Thanks for stopping by! If you want to check out Code of Darkness, you can find it at www.codeofdarkness.com – it has all the basic info plus a preview of the first ten pages. And if you’d like to get in touch with me, you can email me at chris@codeofdarkness.com – I’d love to hear from you.

Readers, Chris is offering an e-book giveaway at each of his stops, so comment below and at some or all of his other stops. The more you comment, the more chances you have to win. Oh! also, at the end of the tour, there is going to be a $50 Visa gift card grand prize giveaway to the person who comments at every stop and follows the entire tour. Another reason to comment. Look here for tour dates and stops. :)

1 comment:

Morgan Mandel said...

Good luck with your debut book, Chris!

I grew up in Chicago myself and now live in a Northwest suburb.

I wrote my first three books while struggling with a day job as well, but the bonds were broken when I lost my day job this past January. I don't miss it, but I do miss the money.

My next book was mainly written while I had my day job, and edited after I lost it. I don't know how I managed to write anything with a day job, so I know how hard it can be.

Morgan Mandel
morgan@morganmandel.com
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com