Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Interview with non-fiction writer Laura Rodela


Today's guest is non-fiction writer Laura Rodela. She's touring her debut book Confessions with VBT Cafe all this month.

Bio:
Laura Rodela is originally from El Paso, TX and is currently residing in Fort Worth, TX. Laura is a proud mother of one daughter and enjoys writing, volunteer work, performing, and traveling. She is currently working on her second book.

Laura, welcome to Reviews and Interviews. Please tell us about your debut book.
Confessions is a book of memoirs. The five ladies featured in the book embark on a journey of self discovery, self love, and self acceptance. It is about friendships that have lasted over fifteen years and how their unbreakable friendship took them on a ride of a lifetime.

What inspired you to write this book?
Putting my life out there for everyone to read about and hopefully learn from is what inspired me to write this book. I felt like I had a lot to share with other women who might be dealing with the same things and maybe in some way help them get through it. Accepting yourself can be a tough process and I have finally reached that point. I want to help others reach it too.

What exciting story are you working on next?
I am currently working on my second book which is about five women in different stages of their lives, but all have a few things in common. This book is about the hidden truths and the women's private and public personas.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
When I started working on Confessions I was not sure I could write a compelling story. A friend told me to write from my heart and just put it on paper. That was the best advice I ever received. I believe what makes someone a writer is having a passion for the pen. I am passionate about writing and continue to improve with each chapter I write. I didn't truly consider myself a writer until I finished my first book.

Do you write full-time? if so, what's your work day like? if not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
I don't write full-time. I have a very demanding day job and lots of responsibility that comes with it. Please forgive me for not discussing what I do, but I do like to keep my career and my writing separate. I mostly write at night when I have time to be alone with my mind. I enjoy writing while sipping some hot tea and looking up at the stars. That is when I get most inspired.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I don't write one chapter at a time. I skip chapters and write as I feel inspired. I could be working on chapter 1 and 7 at the same time. I can't seem to follow a pattern.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be a lawyer. I love challenges and being a lawyer seemed the kind of job that provided excitement and challenge on daily basis. Unfortunately, I ended up doing something else. However, I do plan on applying for law school in a couple of years. It's never too late.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
Follow your passions and never give up. I have learned a lot from writing my first book and that is helping me become a better writer. When I decided to write Confessions a lot of people doubted I could do it, but I believed in myself and that is something I am proud of.

Follow me on twitter @write_aholic. I enjoy talking to people so please drop a line. And if there is anything I can do to help you with your writing I am more than willing to do so.

Thanks for being here today, Laura. Thanks for stopping by as you tour!



No comments: