Thursday, October 6, 2011

Interview with fantasy author Ryan Collings


Today's guest is doing a virtual book tour through the VBT Cafe. Author Ryan Collings is here to chat about his debut fantasty release, Jack Ranis and the Book of the Labi.

Bio:
Ryan Collings lives in Boise, Idaho with his two children Kaylee and Kasin, his dog Stewie, his cat Rosebud, and the love of his life, Brooke.

Welcome to Reviews and Interviews, Ryan. Please tell us about your current release.
Jack Ranis and the Book of the Labi is fantasy novel, aimed at teen and young adult readers. The book follows Jack Ranis, an orphan who is confused about his life. He discovers that where he comes from is far from ordinary. After a near death accident, he meets a man connected to his past, who sends him to a world beyond anything he had ever imagined.

With the help from friends he meets along the way, he travels to destroy an ancient relic that threatens to destroy everything that he has come to know and love.

What inspired you to write this book?
A couple of years ago, I had just finished reading a book. I sat there a moment reflecting back on it. It occurred to me that I could write a novel just as good, if not better. The next day, I was at a coffee shop with my computer.

What exciting story are you working on next?
Currently, I am working on the second book in the Jack Ranis series. It picks up right were the first book leaves off, with action packed adventure from page one. I have also recently begun creating the story line for a new fantasy series. I hope to have both out early next year.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
Growing up, I never liked to write. If you had told me three years ago that I would have a book out, and plans to write several more, I would have laughed at you. Even while writing the first Jack Ranis book, I never thought of myself as a writer. The first time I ever felt like a real writer, was the day my first printed proof showed up in the mail. Even though my book was available as an eBook over a month before it went to print.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
I do not write full time, although I would love to. At my day job, I am an Executive Chef. I try to put in as many hours as I can on writing, but at times finding the time is challenging while juggling work and family.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
As embarrassing as it is to admit, there were several when having trouble writing a combat scene, I would have sword fights with my son to come up with ideas.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Like most children, it would have depended on what day you asked me. I didn’t play a lot of sports as a child, so professional athlete was never really on the list. My mom was a teacher, so I think that most often that is what I wanted to do. Movies often played a role (and still do) in what I wanted to be. If I watched a midlevel movie, I wanted to be a knight. If there were cops, I wanted to be a cop. Writer and Chef however, I don’t ever remember. It’s funny the way things work out.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my interview. It you are lover of fantasy like me. I invite you to read Jack Ranis and the Book of the Labi. There are sample chapters available on both the Kindle and Nook markets. For you writers, keep on writing, even when it seems hard. For you readers, thank you for continuing to read and support blogs like this one.


No comments: