Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Interview with writer Casey Samuel Bell

Writer Casey Samuel Bell is here today. We’re chatting about his new poetry chapbook, Poems from the Other Side.

Bio:
Proud Uncle Casey Bell has authored two Young Adult books, three General Fiction, three Non-Fiction, two Short-Stories, one Horror, one book of Poetries, five Children books, one book of collection of Art, and has produced four Word Search books. Twenty-two books in total, but has no intentions of slowing down. He enjoys sharing stories, ideas, and art that cause people to think beyond the box. Not only a writer, but also a playwright, graphic designer, fine artist, and fashion designer.

Welcome, Casey. What inspired you to write this book?
It is a book of my poetry. I always think differently from everyone. Basically, the side of topics no one ever sees. So, I decided to write poetry on topics from the side I see no one else sees. I also added songs and poems I wrote years ago (5-10).


Excerpt:
LOVE IS

Love is massaging the backs of those who stabbed yours.
Love is giving sun to those who shade you
Love is lifting the people up who took you down
Love is speaking kindly to those who gossiped and rumored
Love is praising those who criticized you
Love is complementing those who condemned you
Love is smiling at those who frown at you
Love is laughing with those who have laughed at you
Love is hugging those who dream of strangling you
Love is giving love to those who gave you hate
Love is not an emotion
It is an action you choose to execute in the midst of hate.


What exciting project are you working on next?
I am working on a series of children’s books, “American History.” They shine light on inventors and innovators the American school systems leave out of their curriculum. The first two have been published and I am working on five more.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
About two years ago. I wrote as a child, but never thought of it as a job. I wrote, songs, poems, plays, and prayers all the time. Mostly it was my therapy, but when I got ideas, I wrote them down. The second book I wrote was the first to be published in 2007, but I didn’t consider myself a writer until recently. I believed the lie the school system taught me that due to my grades I wasn’t good enough to be a writer. I kept running away from it, but writing seems to be the only thing I find success in so I finally denounce the lies I was taught and accepted me for who I am, a writer.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
I am not a full-time writer just yet, but I plan to be one within in the next two years.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I can’t say I have any. Every book I write has its own conception story. The only thing I can say is the book that took me ten years to write, I decided to write it backwards. From end to middle (the beginning was already written). As I wrote it backwards the rest of the book came to me.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Depends on the age. I started out wanting to be a gospel singer, then a fine artist (drawing), then a chef. By the time I was 13/14 I wanted to be a Broadway actor. By the time I left college I wanted to be a graphic designer.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
Always remember to never judge yourself according to what people taught you. Your identity is in your fingerprint and no one can ever tech you how to be your fingerprint. That can only come from within. Because your fingerprint is unique and can never fit in, make sure you stay as unique as your fingerprint.

Thanks for being here today!

No comments: