Monday, February 11, 2019

Interview with writer Walter Stoffel


Writer Walter Stoffel joins the blog today to chat a little about his memoir, Lance: A Spirit Unbroken.

Bio:
Walter Stoffel is a substance abuse counselor and GED teacher in correctional facilities. When not behind bars, he likes to read, travel, work out and watch bad movies. Major accomplishment: He entered a 26.2 mile marathon following hip replacement surgery and finished—dead last.

The author currently lives with his wife Clara, their dog, Buddy (another rescue), and cat, Winky (yet another rescue).

Welcome, Walter. Please tell us about your current release.
Lance: A Spirit Unbroken is the recounting of the off-the-wall rescue of an off-the-wall dog. Lance lived the entirety of the first 10 years of his life outside on the run before I met him. I began walking him from his abusive owners’ property until the day it became clear Lance had to be rescued. That’s when the fun really began. Lance turned out to be semi-feral and a threat to anybody, even his rescuers. At the same time, Lance had a very entertaining side. Picture Marley meets Cujo!

What inspired you to write this book?
Everybody loves a rags-to-riches story. In this case, the main character happens to be four-legged rather than two legged. Even those not particularly into dogs have been impressed by Lance’s dogged (I had to!) determination to survive. I believe there are lessons in Lance’s life that apply to us humans.


What exciting story are you working on next?
I’m in the final stages of the graphic story of a young boy growing up in a highly dysfunctional family on Long Island. Difficult to pinpoint the genre, but right now I’d call it a fictional biography.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
Tough to pinpoint an exact date. Ultimately, the readers decide to what level my writing rises. Lance has earned five-star status among readers on three continents.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
My day jobs keep me busy in jail. As an indie author, it’s extremely difficult to write and promote your finished book(s) while holding down a job. I won’t look for sympathy though, because I know there are lots of other writers going through the same experience. Let’s call it a labor of love.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I’m definitely a seat-of-the-pants writer. I’m not saying that’s a good or bad thing, only that it’s my current creative reality. Also, I have a penchant for humor no matter how dark the subject matter.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I just wanted to get out of my childhood alive (see my second book). Apart from that, I was not focused on my future, other than a vague wish to be a baseball player. It’s a long story (double entendre intended).

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
Thank you for taking the time to read this post on Lisa’s page. And, thank you Lisa for giving me the opportunity to appear on your page.

Links:

Thanks for being here today, Walter.

No comments: