Thursday, September 20, 2018

New interview with mystery author Mary Maurice


Author Mary Maurice is back for a visit! Today we’re just one stop on a virtual tour she is doing for her new psychological thriller, The Suicide Letters of Jack Monroe.

Mary and I chatted last November about her suspense novel, Burtum Lee.

Welcome back to Reviews and Interviews, Mary. Please tell us a little bit about yourself.
I grew up in the Detroit area, and fell in love with writing when I was in the ninth grade, and haven’t stopped since. I have two other novels published, Fruit Loops the Serial Killer and Burtrum Lee.

Please tell us about your newest release.
The Suicide Letters of Jack Monroe is a story about Susan Jordan who hires Jack Monroe to write her suicide letter, but instead he writes her letter after letter trying to convince her not to kill herself.

What inspired you to write this book?
When the title and then the idea came into my mind, I knew I had to sit down, listen to what I was being told, from who knows where, and write this compelling novel.

What’s the next writing project?
The Dreams of Stellar Martin -This story is about a woman who goes hiking in the mountains, falls, hits her head and can’t remember who or where she is, and uses her dream journal to try and figure things out.

What is your biggest challenge when writing a new book? (or the biggest challenge with this book)
Maintaining my energy for the duration of my writing time. Keeping myself disciplined, knowing when finished, I’ve given birth to another novel.

If your novels require research – please talk about the process. Do you do the research first and then write, while you’re writing, after the novel is complete and you need to fill in the gaps?
I do my research throughout the drafts. To me writing is always a learning experience.

What’s your writing space like? Do you have a particular spot to write where the muse is more active? Please tell us about it.
I have a work room where I produce my writing. Nothing special, save for the 1920 Underwood typewriter with no letters on the keys, that I use for all of my first drafts. Her name is, Julia. She’s my BFF!

What authors do you enjoy reading within or outside of your genre?
I don’t write in a specific genre, so my book reading follows the same path. If a book interests me, then I’ll read it. My favorite author is Stephen King.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers today?
For me, one of the most important things about writing, is getting people to read. Championing the craft, keeping it alive and well for future generations. I always recall as a child watching the movie, Fahrenheit 451, and feeling very sad when they piled all of the books up and burned them. I believe it was then when I knew I wanted to be a writer.

Links:

Thank you for coming back to Reviews and Interviews!


To learn more about Mary and her writing, feel free to stop by any of her other tour stops:
Monday September 17th @ WOW! Women on Writing
Interview & Giveaway!

Tuesday, September 18th @ World of My Imagination
Nicole reviews The Suicide Letters of Jack Monroe for readers at World of My Imagination. Don't miss this chance to learn more about Mary Maurice's latest work!

Wednesday, September 19th @ Beverley A. Baird
Beverley A. Baird reads and reviews Mary Maurice's latest work, The Suicide Letters of Jack Monroe and shares her thoughts on this page turning novel!

Thursday, September 20th @ Choices with Madeline Sharples
Mary Maurice writes an intriguing guest post at Choices today. Don’t miss this post and opportunity to learn about The Suicide Letters of Jack Monroe. 

Friday, September 21st @ Bring on Lemons with Crystal Otto
Crystal reviews The Suicide Letters of Jack Monroe as readers of Bring on Lemons learn more about this latest page turner by Mary Maurice!

Monday, September 24th @ Cathy Stucker's Selling Books
Don't miss today's interview with Mary Maurice and learn more about her latest book The Suicide Letters of Jack Monroe.

Tuesday, September 25th @ Words from the Heart with Rev. Linda Neas
Linda reviews The Suicide Letters of Jack Monroe for readers at Words from the Heart!

Wednesday, September 26th @ Bring on Lemons with Michelle DelPonte
Wisconsin mother Michelle DelPonte reviews The Suicide Letters of Jack Monroe for readers at Bring on Lemons - will this be a lemon or some tasty lemonade?

Thursday, September 27th @ A Day in the Life of Mom
Ashley Bass reviews Mary Maurice's latest page turner, The Suicide Letters of Jack Monroe. Don't miss her insight and thoughts on this exciting new book!

Monday, October 1st @ Strength 4 Spouses
Stop by Wendi Huskin’s blog Strength 4 Spouses where she shares her thoughts about Mary Maurice's The Suicide Letters of Jack Monroe.

Tuesday, October 2nd @ Coffee with Lacey
Lacey reads and reviews the unusual and intriguing new novel by Mary Maurice - you won't want to miss her thoughts about The Suicide Letters of Jack Monroe.

Wednesday, October 10th @Kathleen Pooler's Memoir Writer's Journey
Mary Maurice pens today's guest post at Memoir Writer's Journey. Don't miss this opportunity to hear from Maurice and learn more about her latest work - The Suicide Letters of Jack Monroe.

Friday, October 12th @ Author Anthony Avina
Fellow author Anthony Avina reviews The Suicide Letters of Jack Monroe by Mary Maurice!


No comments: