Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Interview with mystery author Marilyn Levinson


Marilyn Levinson is my guest today. She's talking about her first adult mystery novel, A Murderer among Us.

Bio:
Marilyn Levinson is a former Spanish teacher, and the author of several books for children and young adults. Rufus and Magic Run Amok was selected by the International Reading Association and the Children’s Book Council for “Children’s Choices for 2002.”

A Murderer among Us is her first published adult mystery. Two novels are scheduled to come out in 2012 -- a ghost mystery (to be renamed) and a romantic suspense, Dangerous Relations. She is a member of The Authors Guild, RWA, The Mystery Writers of America, Sisters in Crime, the Guppies, and is president, and co-founder the Long Island chapter of Sisters in Crime. She lives on Long Island with her husband, Bernie and their cat, Sammy.

Marilyn, welcome to Reviews and Interviews. Please tell us about your current release.
A Murderer among Us is a traditional mystery with cozy elements. Lydia Krause moves to an upscale Long Island retirement community to start a new life. Her neighbor introduces her to the community’s financial advisor, whom Lydia recognizes as the convicted embezzler who drove her sister to suicide. She exchanges heated words with his wife, who’s found dead the following morning, mowed down by Lydia’s Lexus. Now Suspect Number One, Lydia investigates. Amid threats and more deaths, Lydia forges new friendships, helps resolve her grown daughters’ problems, and finds romance.

What inspired you to write this book?
Certainly nothing in my own life. I’ve a vivid imagination.

What exciting story are you working on next?
I’ve started a new book. It’s a cozy mystery that involves twins. This time my sleuth is younger -- 25.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
When I was in elementary school, I wanted to be a writer or a ballerina. You see which one won out.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
I’m of the age when most people are retired. However, writers don’t retire. I write a few hours each day. A good deal of my time is spent online in communication with other writers. When A Murderer among Us came out I was very busy writing guest blogs and doing interviews, as well as updating my website.

Saturday, I have a meeting of the Long Island chapter of Sisters in Crime -- I’m the president. Next week I’ll be doing a Q&A as part of the Savvy Authors Symposium. In October, I’ll be giving a workshop at my library on writing mysteries. Writing is a way of life.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
If you mean IN my writing, that would be getting my characters into funny or awkward situations. If you mean ABOUT my writing habits, it’s that it still takes me ages to settle down to write a few pages a day. Generally, everything starts to flow when I’m supposed to be preparing dinner, or so my husband tells me.

Marilyn, thank you for being here today. Best of luck with your upcoming novels.

4 comments:

meg london said...

I'm anxious to read all of these! They sound like fun.

Marilyn Levinson said...

Thanks, Meg. I like to have fun in my books. And I look forward to reading your series when it comes out.

Anonymous said...

Love the premise of this mystery. It's definitely something I would like to read. Thanks for sharing!

Marilyn Levinson said...

Anne,
Thanks for visiting. I enjoy writing about Lydia because she's spunky and smart. This book is about new beginnings.