Monday, March 7, 2011

Interview with HD Hatcher


I'd like to welcome HD Hatcher to Reviews and Interviews today as as a tour stop for his virtual book tour.

Please tell us a bit about your current release.
A Cold Dark Place is my first novel. The story centers around two main characters, Luke and Andy. Luke is gay and Andy is straight and married to an abusive spouse. For Luke, it is love at first sight and he doesn’t understand how Andy’s wife can treat him so badly. The love Andy and Luke share transcends comprehension. Although it is strong, there are aspects of it that they refuse to act on in fear of losing what they hold dear to their hearts; each other.

What inspired you to write this book?
Being a gay writer, I am always on the lookout for gay stories. Unfortunately, most of the novels that I have read, concentrate on the sex between two men, the drug habits of this one or that one, and the big party that gay people apparently indulge in on a daily basis (which someone forgot to invite me to). There is a very serious and human side to GLBTI community that deserves attention. I wanted to write a story that showcased the emotional and sometimes tragic side of being gay.

What exciting story are you working on next?
Although A Cold Dark Place is a standalone novel, I have been toying with the idea of a sequel. I am not making any promises at this point, but a sequel is a strong possibility. I want to make sure that I will be able to keep the story from being predictable and too commercial before I make any commitments. I want my readers to understand that just because there is a second chapter to the story, this does not mean it will have a happy ending.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
Honestly, I don’t know if I consider myself a writer. To do so would suggest that I create for money. This is not the case for me. I write for fun and have no expectations (at this point in time) to make writing my sole source of income. However, I will continue to write because I love creating and sharing my work.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
I do not write full-time. I work with a private contractor for the Federal Government. My job is interesting; to say the least. It is mentally demanding, but I love what I do. On the weekdays, I am too busy winding down from a long day at work in order to write. I often find myself writing on the weekends.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I love to interject humor into my work. Humor keeps the story from bogging down and helps give comic relief to a highly charged situation. If you read something in my work that you get a little chuckle out of, it is because I am about to hit you with something that is mentally intense.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
My mother tells me all of the time that when I was little, that I was torn between a millionaire or a bus driver. After 38 years to think about it, I have decided that a millionaire would be my top pick with bus driver coming in a close second.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
I had the honor of working with some very talented authors in the writing of an anthology entitled Unloved. Every story deals with either suicide or bullying. All proceeds from Unloved will be donated to suicide prevention and anti-bully education programs.

Bio: HD Hatcher is no newcomer on the literary scene. He is author of In the Heart of the Closet, a piece nominated for both the 2006 Stonewall Book Award and the 2005 Lambda Literary Award. He is an avid supporter of gay and lesbian causes, suicide prevention programs, as well as Animal Rights. Hatcher currently resides in the Grand Strand area of South Carolina, near his hometown of Conway, with his Life Partner of ten years, Jerry.

HD's next tour stop is March 9 with The Phantom Paragrapher.

Thanks for stopping by, HD!

No comments: