Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Interview with author Joseph Pinto



Today we're chatting with horror author Joe Pinto about his newest book that is not dark fiction.

Welcome, Joe.

Please start us off with a short biography.
I presently live in New Jersey with my wife, Stacey, and daughter, Athena. I'm also the author of the horror novel Flowers for Evelene. Dusk and Summer is my first work outside the horror genre.

Please tell us about your current release.
Dusk and Summer is utilized by the Lustgarten Foundation for Pancreatic Cancer Research as a "gift that keeps giving." In other words, with each purchase, a portion of proceeds is donated back to help raise money for a very worthy cause.

As far as the book itself, it's the story about a dying father who sends his son on a last mission to bring his soul to rest at sea. It's an inspirational blend of fact and fantasy, based on my experience of my father's battle against pancreatic cancer.

What inspired you to write this book?
After my father lost his fifteen-month battle against pancreatic cancer, I needed a way to honor both him and his fight. He loved the sea; when I was little, he used to tell me about the wrecks he explored from his scuba diving days. There was one story in particular about a close call he had. Dusk and Summer was born from there.

There are no named characters in my novella. I did this so that a wider audience could embrace the story. Whether you've lost a loved one or just looking for a deeper read, Dusk and Summer is not limited to any one genre.

What exciting story are you working on next?
I'll be putting numerous short stories out into markets in 2011, as well as one already published in a horror anthology scheduled for an early 2011 release. Then there's my new horror novel. I can't really divulge anything yet other than to say this is going to be a dark, dark tale.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I caught the writing bug when I was a kid. I wrote short stories here or there, but always used the excuse "lack of time" as a reason why I didn't push myself. I finally reached a point when I said enough is enough and sat down and wrote Flowers for Evelene. I needed to prove to myself that I was capable of achieving the next level, and striving forward from there.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
I hope to be a full-time writer at some point. I own a small business, & I'm Mr. Mom every day for my 2-1/2 year old daughter, Athena. I love it, but it has its challenges. I don't use "lack of time" as an excuse anymore; I simply write during whatever free time I'm afforded. Everything happens for a reason, and I firmly believe I need to continue paying my dues until I'm ready for a bigger stage.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I disguise a lot of my personal life and experiences within my horror fiction. I could meet you today, and you'd become a character in a future story and never know it. I love people's little nuances. I can sit for hours and people watch. Hopefully, they aren't watching me in return! lol

Joe, maybe you're in someone's novel and don't know it!

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
An author. I've always had a true knack to tell a good story.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
It wasn't until I was nearly thirty-five when I wrote my first book, and I thought I was a failure for waiting so long. Honestly, I was just feeling sorry for myself. I realized that I simply wasn't ready to push and take chances. Now, I'm confident that my goals and dreams are still ahead of me, and I know what it takes to achieve them. Sometimes, you must learn your own boundaries before exceeding them.

Folks can check out my website and my blog to stay up with what I'm doing.

Great interview, Joe. Thank you for stopping by.

No comments: