Monday, August 1, 2011

Interview with romance author Elaine Lowe


Today I get to host my first Honey Bee Promotions author. Elaine Lowe is here to talk about romance, writing, and itchy fingers.

Bio:
Elaine Lowe is a work-at-home mom in Silicon Valley, California. Of her many part-time jobs, her favorite one by far is writing. She has a background in biotech, but she has branched out into the demanding world of home management, toddler entertainment, transcription, envelope stuffing, and of course, writing romantic and erotic fiction.

A love of history, magic and romance combines to inspire a lot of her writing. That and her wonderful husband, who is a fantastic sounding board, support system, and research consultant. He really enjoys research. And so does she.

Elaine, please tell us about your current book release.
Magic Eights is about fulfilling the wild fantasies of a happy but slightly frustrated wife. Susanna makes an idle wish to a Magic Eight ball she receives from a good friend, who happens to style herself as a witch. That wish results in not just one, but seven different copies of her husband being created, each with a purpose to accomplish! It’s a sexy romp, but it’s also a loving story of two people in love who still have insecurities and secrets and find deep fulfilment in rediscovering each other and opening up completely. This is a contemporary paranormal, a highly erotic romance and a quick fun read that I had a ball writing.

What inspired you to write this book?
I was in the middle of writing a completely different book, a historical set in Hawaii that I am still plugging away on, when this insistently horny wife popped into my mind’s eye while I should have been refining my chapter outlines. Susanna was lying in her bathtub, holding a prognosticating Magic Eight ball, and asking it ridiculously erotic questions involving activities to try with her workaholic husband. Well, she would not leave me alone, and so in very short order her story came out as Magic Eights.

It’s a fun, steamy romp for me, different then a lot of my books. Most of my books are historicals with lots and lots of heavily researched plot. This is sex, sex, and more sweet, hot sex. It’s the magic-enhanced dream world of a happily married couple, and it was so much fun to write.

Susanna has finally left me alone, but her friend Esme is bugging me now. She’s the witch who gave Susanna that enchanted Magic Eight ball as an anniversary present, and now she wants her own story told. I have a feeling that my Hawaiian epic is going to get interrupted again!

What exciting story are you working on next?
I usually have several manuscripts I’m working on at any one time. I’ve just finished another book in the Magic Eights world, but this one much more steeped in magic, with more of an urban fantasy vibe. And I’m working on Esme Morgan’s story and her Fae suitor. And, of course, there’s that Hawaiian cowboy story!

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I think I really first thought of myself as a writer the day I was finishing one book, editing another, and doing promotion for a new release, all at the same time. Juggling three completely different stories at the same time made me realize I had created all these worlds, and people wanted to read them! It was exhilarating.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
I wish I could write full-time, but alas I’m a mom to a special needs child, and I work several part time, at-home jobs. Writing is my fun time, and my escape! I worry that if I was ever so lucky as to be able to write full-time, it would become work instead of the joy that it is now.
Still, I wouldn’t mind trying! And I don’t see myself as ever giving it up. I have to write, my fingers itch otherwise.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I really like to switch perspectives and try to give an equal voice to both partners in a relationship. There are only a few of my books which are completely from a single point of view. I love books where you get both sides of the story, so that’s what I write as well.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
It varied. I wanted to be an astronaut, a country singer, a pilot, or a travel writer. At least I got the writer part!

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
I love hearing from my readers. If you have a suggestion, a problem, a prompt, or a story you want to share with me about your experiences and what you think about my books, I really want to hear from you! Find me on Twitter or e-mail me at elalowe@gmail.com!

Elaine, thanks for stopping by as you tour your book. It's a pleasure to meet you and learn about your writing.

No comments: