Thursday, August 11, 2011

Interview with mystery author Barbra Annino


Today at Reviews and Interviews is mystery author Barbra Annino to talk about her writing and her newest book Opal Fire.

Bio:
Barbra Annino has been a technical writer, a journalist and a humor columnist. Her work has appeared in numerous magazines and literary anthologies. Her first novel, Opal Fire is book one of the Stacy Justice mysteries. She is also working on an urban fantasy as well as a young adult novel.

Please tell us about your current release.
Opal Fire is the first book of Stacy Justice's story. It's a laugh out loud mystery in the tone of a Janet Evanovich numbers book, except instead of fist-pumping Jersey girls it's filled with witches.

What inspired you to write this book?
I've always been fascinated by the supernatural so I wanted to write a book that incorporated that theme. Murder mysteries have long been a favorite genre, so I took those two elements and wove them into a plot that had high stakes for the protagonist - one that would affect her family rather than a stranger. Mix in a whole lot of humor, a huge canine and a group of strong women and that pretty much sums up the book.

What exciting story are you working on next?
Right now, Bloodstone - part two of Stacy's story. I have two more projects planned for later this year - a contemporary YA and an historical urban fantasy.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
When I got my first paycheck attached to a printed article. I was a journalist and columnist for ten years before I wrote fiction.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
I'm still freelancing for magazines, but I have been able to focus more on fiction this year. My husband and I both work from the house and I wish I could tell you that I have a set schedule, but the truth is it depends on what's going on that day and when the dogs can be walked, weather permitting. Although, when I wrote my first book, I worked 7-7, with three hours out of the day for walks, errands, and lunch. I'll be getting back to that when the deadline approaches for Bloodstone.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
My characters talk to me in the shower. It's quite unsettling.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
An archeologist and a writer.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
I wanted to write a book that would make people laugh no matter what was going on in their lives. Hopefully, I did.

Thanks for stopping by Barbra. Happy writing. :)

2 comments:

Margaret Fieland said...

Cool cover. Love the shower comment. Your characters are very enterprising.

Barbra Annino said...

Thank you Margaret!