Monday, August 15, 2011

Interview with author Sharolyn Wells


Please welcome novelist Sharolyn Wells to Reviews and Interviews. She's here to talk about her sci-fi novel Plymouth Colony II available through Desert Breeze Publishing.

Bio:
Sharolyn Wells was born in Muskogee, Oklahoma. She is the eldest daughter of Bill and Zelda Atchison. Sharolyn is married to her best friend Phillip. Together they have five children and five grandchildren – two of whom live with them along with their parents.

Please tell us about your current release, Plymouth Colony II.
There is no Plymouth Colony I. The first Plymouth Colony is the one in Massachusetts in 1620. :)

In 2048, a flotilla of twelve alien ships arrives on Earth. Two years later, astronomers discover a gigantic meteor shower headed for Earth. Over a dozen of them are as large as the one that ended the Age of the Dinosaurs. The aliens, who call themselves the Kelkani, propose a world-wide lottery that will remove 100,000 young people from Earth. Teris Keyes, a Canadian doctor-in-training, is among the Selected, along with her younger brother Eric. They arrive on Kelkan and told the other reason they were brought there. The Kelkani are a dying race and the humans from Earth will help restore the empire to its former glory. But there is a group on Kelkan called the Elite. Their leader, Raetin Dare, doesn’t want the Human Contagion to integrate with the Kelkani. He will do anything within his power to make sure they aren’t integrated, even if it means killing the emperor.

What inspired you to write this book?
I’m not sure. I’ve always loved a good science fiction novel. Sometimes, my ideas just spring fully-formed into my mind. I think that’s what I wanted with Plymouth Colony II. Just a good science fiction story. With the requisite bad guys and good guys.

What exciting story are you working on next?
I have always loved the old Gothic romances of Victoria Holt and Mary Stewart. I always hated the fact that the “ghost” usually ended up being someone to scare the heroine away. I wanted to write a paranormal (what used to be called Gothic) romance where the ghost was real. The title of the novel is Ghost of Killough Castle.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
When someone other than my sister read one of my stories and liked it.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
My husband and I are retired (he’s 63 and physically handicapped. I’ll be 60 soon). We’re stay at home people. Give us a good book or an exciting television series and we’re parked in the living room watching it.

Our “love” right now is the new TNT series “Falling Skies”. I write full time, but I do other things as well. My mother and a dear friend of mine taught me to crochet when I was younger. I finished a baby blanket for my youngest granddaughter, a Queen-sized blanker for my daughter and son in law’s bed, and now I’m working on a large blanket for my oldest granddaughter. :-D She won’t keep her hands off her sister’s blanket so I thought I might as well make her one as well.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I have to have music when I write. If it’s too quiet, I can think about a hundred things I need to be doing other than writing. Like housework, or changing diapers on the granddaughters.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
My two biggest wishes to be: A stewardess (before they became flight attendants). Just thinking about all that travel was exciting to me. And I wanted to be a lawyer. I know, weird right?

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
Enjoy the story!

Thank you for being here, Sharolyn. Keep on writing!

4 comments:

P.I. Barrington said...

PC2 sounds great Sharolyn! I love this kind of plotline!! Wonderful interview!

Word Actress said...

I love writers who can create futuristic worlds for us.
Great interview!

Unknown said...

Sharolyn--what an interesting concept for a novel. I really like it. Years ago, all I read was Science Fiction, but discovered romance and was hooked on that.
I haven't watched Falling Skies-but it looks like a good series--it certainly is popular.
Good for you for writing--I didn't even beging until I was 66--it's a lot of fun.
Glad to meet you, too. Celia

sharolyn said...

Thanks, Ladies. Celia, I began writing when I was 13 after a trauma. I wrote short stories and novellas then. Soon after I turned 16, my beloved grandfather died. He and my sister were the only two people who believed in me. I began writing novels then.

Science fiction was my first love and romance my second. When I combined the two, it just made my two loves come together.