Friday, August 25, 2017

Interview with mystery author Charles M

Mystery author Charles M joins me today to chat about his psychological thriller, Memoirs of a Crazy.

Bio:
Despite growing up in a small town, I always knew I was destined for bigger things. At age eighteen, I enlisted in the US Navy, a move that allowed me to see the world and explore my passion for life. After 6 years and an honorable discharge, I settled into civilian life, earning my Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering and an MBA in Technology Management.

Always eager to challenge myself with new and different roles, I took on the role of "Author," writing my debut novel among the roles of full-time engineer, local business owner, and family man. But, I have no plans to stop there!

I am an avid outdoorsman, enjoy camping, hiking, snowboarding, shooting, and fishing, making the Land of Enchantment an ideal place to call home.

Welcome, Charles. Please tell us about your current release.
Memoirs of a Crazy is set in 1969 in New Hope, Maine. Dr. Benson is running a psychiatric hospital with dreams of becoming a world-renowned psychiatrist. His dream is further realized when he gets a patient named Arthur Fritz, a notorious serial killer with a split personality named Patrick. Little does Dr. Benson know is that their meeting was no accident.

Most serial killer novels are written from the perspective of a cop chasing that person. Memoirs of a Crazy is written from the perspective of the killer. You get to read his memoirs and hear his inner thoughts as he takes you into his mind. It’s quite the journey.

What inspired you to write this book?
The same thing that inspires every book. I want to write original ideas. There are so many movies and books out there with recycled plot lines that I wanted to try to change it up a bit.


“Everyone out there in the world wants to be the lion, Arthur. They want to be king of the jungle. They want to growl and show their teeth. But none of them will kill the zebra. You saw them in the courtroom. When they found you not guilty they roared, they got loud. But did any of them bite? Not a one. But not us, Arthur. You and I. We bite…and we bite hard.”


What exciting story are you working on next?
My next novel is called The Gray Door. It is about a man dealing with Alzheimer’s and how it affects his entire life. It will be very spiritual as well as sad.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I feel I’ve always been a writer. All a writer is, is someone who can communicate to others on how they see the world. We describe things in a way that others haven’t seen before. The art of telling a story combined with describing those stories is what makes a writer a writer.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
I currently have a full-time job, buy writing is my passion. And when you have a passion, you will find time to work on it, no matter what. So yes, I’m incredibly busy with my job and my family but I always make time for writing.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I listen to Adele when I’m writing. I’m a 38-year-old guy and I consider myself pretty manly and outdoors-y. But something about her music brings out emotions. I love her.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Funny, I wanted to be a preacher. No idea why, but that’s what they said. It’s funny because…well read my first novel, The Jungle Within, and you’ll see why.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
Enjoy the book!

Links:


Thanks for being here today, Charles.

No comments: