Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Interview with thriller author Carrie Rubin

I’m interviewing Carrie Rubin today about her newest novel, a psychological medical thriller titled Eating Bull.

Bio:
Carrie Rubin is a physician with a master’s degree in public health. She is a member of the International Thriller Writers association. Her novels include Eating Bull and The Seneca Scourge. She lives in Ohio with her husband and two sons.

Welcome, Carrie. Please tell us about your current release.
In Eating Bull, Jeremy, a lonely and obese teenager, shoots into the limelight when a headstrong public health nurse persuades him to sue the food industry. Tossed into a storm of media buzz and bullying, the teen draws the attention of a serial killer who’s targeting the obese. Soon the boy, the nurse, and their loved ones take center stage in a delusional man’s drama. 

Through fiction, Eating Bull explores the real-life issues of bullying, fat-shaming, food addiction, and the food industry’s role in obesity. 

What inspired you to write this book?
Three things really:
·      The challenges people face to lose weight—so many obstacles block their success, the food industry among them.
·      Reading investigative reporter Michael Moss’s book Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us. It’s an eye-opening exposé on the role of the food industry in our country’s weight problem.
·      A tearful, severely overweight teenage patient who said to me, “Not a day goes by I don’t know I’m fat, because no one will let me forget it.”
What exciting story are you working on next?
I’m working on another medical thriller. No social theme this time around, but it does have a hint of the supernatural. There are a lot of medical thrillers out there, so I try to add a twist or a different element to change things up.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
Great question, and one all writers struggle with. I started my first book in 2001, and I didn’t call myself a writer even after it was published in 2012. In fact, it’s only been in the last year with the release of my second novel that I’ve allowed the word to slip off my tongue when people ask. In my own mind I’ve fully accepted the moniker, but it’s still difficult to call myself that around others. It sounds pretentious somehow. But I’m trying to embrace it!

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
During a transition from clinical to non-clinical medicine a couple years ago, I detoured into writing full-time, at least for now. I would like to say the entire day is devoted to working on my novels, but as any writer knows, much of our time is spent in promotional and networking activities, including writing blog posts and checking into social media. And of course there are family and home responsibilities, as well as continuing medical and public health certification requirements.

I don’t really have a set schedule, but I do have a rule that if I haven’t accomplished much writing during the day, I write in the evening instead. That way I’m sure to make daily progress, even if it means a long workday.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
Hmm, I suppose that might be writing on my treadmill. I don’t like sitting for long periods, so I have a plastic shelf mounted on my treadmill. It’s designed to support a laptop. That way I can write while I walk at a slow pace. I feel more creative (extra blood flow to the brain maybe?), and I get a lot of steps in too!

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
The first thing I remember wanting to be was a librarian. I then went through the usual childhood list: teacher, lawyer, veterinarian, police officer, doctor. The last one stuck. Of course, given my love of books and writing, the librarian aspiration wasn’t far off. So I guess I came full circle.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
I’ll share something I’ve finally allowed myself to do: let go of books that don’t hold my interest. I used to think I had to finish every book. But life is too short and our reading lists too long to do that. So if a book isn’t your cup of tea, move on. There will always be another one waiting.

Thank you so much for having me on your blog today, Lisa! I enjoyed our exchange, and it was a pleasure to be here.

Links:


Thanks for being here today, Carrie!

1 comment:

Carrie Rubin said...

Thanks so much for having me on your site. These were fun questions to answer, and I appreciate the opportunity!