Monday, March 21, 2016

Interview with sci-fi/fantasy Christian novelist David N. Alderman

Welcome to a brand new week, readers. My special guest today is novelist David N. Alderman. Among other things, we’re chatting about Black Earth: The Broken Daisy.

Welcome, David. Please tell us a little bit about yourself.
I am an author who writes science fiction and fantasy with Christian themes and real-world content. I am founder and operator of The Crossover Alliance, a publishing company dedicated to this special out-of-the-box Christian fiction. I am also an avid lover of National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), in which I have participated and won for the last eleven years.

When I’m not writing or spending time with my family, I can be found reading a book or video gaming.

Please tell us about your current release.
Black Earth: The Broken Daisy is my latest release through The Crossover Alliance. It is the second book in my Black Earth series and it continues the story of Nathan Pierce as he searches for his sister who is being tried for treason by the President of the United States. The series is about an alien entity known as Legion that invades Earth and – with the help of a satanic army – attempts to destroy all of humankind.

What inspired you to write this book?
My Black Earth series in general was inspired by a short story I wrote back in 2007 for National Novel Writing Month. The short story told what would happen if Earth was actually destroyed by evil. It was also my first steps into writing Christian fiction with real-world content – something that was (and still is, aside from The Crossover Alliance) unheard of in Christian publishing.

What exciting story are you working on next?
I am currently working on a short story called Red Crane. It is about a detective who is investigating a string of murders by an individual who leaves blood-soaked paper cranes at the scenes of their crimes. I hope to have it finished and published by the end of this month.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
When I was 11, I wrote my very first short story for a class assignment. From there, things took off. I ended up writing short stories through until I was 16, then I compiled them into my first full-length young adult novel. It wasn’t until many years later that I decided to resurrect my love for writing and pursue it as a serious career.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
I am at home with my son every day while my wife works. I get about three hours of work in during his nap, and then I work most nights, usually running the clock from 6:30 until close to midnight. I do most of my writing on Thursday nights at the local coffee shop where I do writing meetings with my good friend. I also do huge bursts of writing during National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo.org). I am trying to get into the habit of writing every day, but it’s been hard as I’ve been devoting most of my time and energy into building up The Crossover Alliance publishing company.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I tend to know the ending of all my stories before I even begin them.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A teacher. Then a writer. Then an interior designer. I even wanted to get into game design at one point, but I eventually returned to my original passion of writing.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
If you’re looking for out-of-the-box Christian fiction, please check out my publishing company, The Crossover Alliance. Most of my writing can be found through them, and I have another series I will be bringing over to the Crossover in the coming months.

Links:

Thanks for being here today, David!

No comments: