Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Interview with paranormal romance author Maggie Mundy

Today’s special guest is Maggie Mundy. She’s currently touring her paranormal romance novel, World Change: Earthbound Trilogy Book One with Goddess Fish Promotions.

Maggie will be awarding an e- copy of World Change to a randomly drawn commenter at each stop during the tour, so you have a fantastic chance of winning! Simply leave a comment below! To increase your chances of winning, feel free to visit other tour stops and leave comments there, too.


Welcome, Maggie. Please tell us a little bit about yourself.
I live in Adelaide, Australia and I am a member of Romance Writers of Australia, and the local chapter SARA (South Australian Romance Authors). I recently completed a Bachelor of Arts in Drama, English and Creative Writing. I have had a short story published in the RWA Topaz Anthology Little Gems in 2010 called Sea and Vines. I have had an erotic novella called Blood Scent published in July 2013 by Rogue Phoenix Press. Its sequel Blood Oath will be out this October. I also have a paranormal romance called Hidden Mortality published February 2014 by Soul Mate Publishing. World Change is the first book in the Earthbound Trilogy.

Please tell us about your current release, World Change.
Clare is a twenty-five-year-old nurse who loves reading fantasy and paranormal books. Fiction becomes fact when she gets transported from Italy to an alternate world, one that looks like fourteenth century Italy. The only way back to Earth is through a portal half a world away, plus the local High priestess wants her dead, and the only one she can trust is a vampire called Trevi. He happens to be the only one who exits in this world, and she knows more about what he is than he does. After all the books she has read he is hard to resist, especially when he saves her life. Trevi can take her home but he is keeping one big secret. She will have to be like him to survive the journey through the portal back to her world making a myth a reality.

What inspired you to write this book?
I had an initial idea about someone who loved reading fantasy and then wondered what it would be like for them to wake up in a fantasy world. I also liked the idea of a different take on the vampire myth. Trevi is the only one in his world so he had no one who can explain why he is different. I have always wanted to visit Italy, and to be a more specific, Florence. I love the history that abounds in the region of Tuscany. It has political intrigue with a past involving the Medici’s. It also has the some of the greatest art work in the world by the likes of Leonardo Da Vinci there. In my novel World Change I tried to capture some of the political intrigues and beauty of the time and mix it with something supernatural.


Excerpt:
Clare turned to run but he was on top of her, pinning her to the ground. She held her breath, too frightened to breathe. With the moonlight behind him, his face was in shadow. He sniffed her then ran the tip of his tongue down her cheek to her neck. Clare swallowed as she struggled to breathe. Her heart beat so fast she could feel it through her chest. If he was going to bite her, then maybe this drunken illusion would be over. He didn't bite her. She could feel his fangs as he ran them up and down her neck. Where they touched, her skin tingled. He licked the blood away and the pain eased where her skin had been pierced by the spear. The calming thoughts of before were returning. She should be fighting him but it was the furthest thing from her mind. He was turning her on and she could feel the ache between her legs as his tongue swirled on her neck.

"Go ahead, do what you have to do. Maybe it will bring reality back."

He didn't bite her. Instead he trailed kisses from her neck to her lips. She should push him away but she opened to him. His cool tongue probing. He tasted sweet. Clare had never thought herself into erotic fantasy, but she felt an irresistible attraction to this man she was finding hard to control. Her tongue entered his mouth searching for his fangs. They scratched her tongue and she heard him groan as a sweet taste entered her mouth. It was at that moment her world became dark.


What exciting story are you working on next?
I am working on World Apart. The second book in the trilogy. It is set on another world and brings in some new characters with their own romance.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
When I had finished my first manuscript. It was a massive 150,000 word fantasy. It has since been culled to 120,000 but has still not found a home yet. It convinced me I could finish a story.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
I am an operating room sister so I don’t always get as much chance to write as I would like to. If I can I try and write every day. Sometimes it is difficult when life gets in the way. Even if I am not writing I find that I am constantly thinking about plots. I can’t switch off the voices in my head. They keep saying write my story.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I am a continuity freak. I can’t stand it if something does not match up.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be a policewoman. I was too short and half blind. Then I thought about the navy. Had a thing for uniforms I guess. I didn’t want to be a nurse, but found myself shunted in that direction. It has served me well. But I love being a writer.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
I am honored when I get a review. I never get over the thrill that I have written something and someone enjoys the journey as they read it as much as I did writing it.

Links:


Thanks, Maggie!



4 comments:

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thanks for hosting!

Maggie Mundy said...

Thanks for hosting. I am in Australia so have just got home from a late shift at work. Hope you enjoy learning about my book World Change

Joanne guidoccio said...

WORLD CHANGE sounds intriguing! Best of luck with sales, Mandy!

Maggie Mundy said...

Thanks Jo. It was fun to write ad now I'm working on book two.