Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Interview with children's author Peta Lemon


My special guest today is Peta Lemon. We’re chatting about her children’s picture book, The Fed-up Cow.

Bio:
Peta Lemon is the author of beautifully illustrated children’s picture books, published under the imprint Quirky Picture Press.

Her books are always funny, written in rhyme and illustrated by Maria Dasic Todoric. 

Welcome, Peta. Please tell us about your current release.
The Fed-up Cow is a funny picture book, written in rhyme, and aimed at children aged 2-5 years. It is vibrantly illustrated and is about a cow who is fed-up with being a cow. Surely, it’s better to be a glamorous sheep, which get haircuts? Or a pig which has a lovely curly tail and gets to eat all day. Or even a chicken – with their sumptuous feathers and ability to sit on eggs.

So, the fed-up cow decides to become a sheep, a pig and finally a chicken before learning an important lesson: be happy with who you are.

What inspired you to write this book?
I walked past a field with a cow in it that looked really fed-up and was looking at a sheep in an adjacent field. I wondered if the cow was looking enviously at the sheep and wishing she could be one. The idea amused me and I turned it into a story.


My favourite page is when the cow has a light-bulb moment when she decides to become a chicken:

“That’s it!” she cried “that’s what I should be!
Being a hen is perfect for me.
Their feathers are simply sumptuous to touch.
And sitting on eggs? I want that so much!”


What exciting story are you working on next?
I’m in the final stages of my next story – Timmy on the Toilet. It is about a boy who saves a fairy on the way to school and is granted a wish that will come true straight away. The boy is so excited but can’t choose what to wish for. He is then caught unaware when he accidentally wishes he could fly when sitting on the toilet at school. There is a little twist at the end – the pictures are done by the same illustrator as the Fed-up Cow and are hilarious.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I’ve always written stories – ever since I could write at aged 4. This is the first book I’ve published.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
I work 4 days a week and have 3 very young children so only write during those rare quiet moments, or after 9pm when everyone is asleep.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
My stories all rhyme, are all funny and very original and quirky. I’ve therefore published under the imprint Quirky Picture Press.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Annie (the orphan with red hair), then a witch, then an architect. I didn’t end up being any of these!

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
I’m very happy to free copies in the UK to anyone that wants a signed copy.

Thank you.

Links:

No comments: