Thursday, January 28, 2016

Interview with paranormal teen romance author Melissa Frost

My special guest today is Melissa Frost. We’re chatting about her new werewolf teen romance novel, Coming Home.

Bio:
Melissa Frost grew up loving young adult novels and continues to immerse herself in the current authors on the market. In the fifth grade, she won a writing competition to work with children’s author Colleen O'Shaughnessy Mckenna, and it inspired her to write stories of her own. She never looked back.

Welcome, Melissa. Please tell us about your current release.
As a foster care child, Andi never stays long in one place. She doesn't have a chance to connect with anyone—until sexy, blue-eyed Devon walks into her life.

Devon claims to have known her birth parents. He’s even got a photograph to prove it. He shows up offering her everything she could ever want—a friend, a connection to her family, and answers.

The only problem is Devon’s friendship comes with a few complications attached. There’s the fact that he’s a werewolf, and then there’s the territorial clan out to start a war with Devon’s pack. What started as a simple journey to learn about herself turns into a dangerous road trip that could get her killed.

If she can survive, Andi just might get the answers that have been plaguing her, and she might just fall in love with her new furry pal along the way.

What inspired you to write this book?
My husband and I were going through the adoption process, so I think that influenced this book. I learned a lot about the system and how it works. I guess it inspired me.


Excerpt from Coming Home:
“I’m still not convinced.” She informed him of this in a tone that stated quite clearly she thought him to be a liar. “You’ll have to try harder than that.”

At her skepticism, Devon gave a grin that could only be described as devilish. Climbing to his feet, he yanked the zipper down on his coat and shrugged out of it. He tossed the coat into the snow before lifting his shirt over his head.

As if they had a mind of their own, her eyes drank in the sight of his bare chest. He was amazingly sculpted, his arm muscles bunching with every movement. His abs, which appeared rock solid, mirrored the action. He even had an interesting scar along his left shoulder that only seemed to add to his sex appeal. She cleared her throat uncomfortably, willing her body to settle down. She didn’t usually get so affected by boys.

When his hands went to his belt buckle and began unfastening it, she gave a squeak of objection. “What are you doing? Stop taking your clothes off!”

He grinned over at her. “You wanted to see a werewolf, didn’t you? I’m just obliging.”

“But … but …”

He stripped out of his jeans with ease. “Werewolves aren’t freaked out by nudity, Andi. If you remembered even the slightest bit about your history, you would know that.”

As his briefs came down, her eyes lifted hurriedly to the sky. She gazed at the clouds as if they were the most intriguing thing in the entire world. Which was a complete farce. Standing before her was the first naked boy she’d ever been in the presence of. She desperately wanted to sneak a peek, yet she was too freaked out by the idea to even lower her gaze a fraction of an inch.

“Sheesh, you’re such a human,” Devon said in complaint. “You’re such a prude that you’re about to miss all the fun.”

Andi scowled, but her gaze was still lifted skyward so she had no idea if he saw her or not. As she stood awkwardly gazing at the clouds, she realized how absolutely absurd this situation was. She was standing in the entrance to a public park. With a naked boy. In the snow.

“This is so—” Her protests broke off as an odd popping sound filled the air. She couldn’t quite place it, but it felt so familiar. It was a noise she’d heard before, but she couldn’t remember where.

Her eyes lowered to Devon’s bare shoulders to find them shifting and cracking. His flesh moved in such an unnatural way, she nearly cried out in alarm. Her own hand pressing to her lips was the only thing that stopped the sound from escaping.

She watched with morbid fascination as Devon’s body repositioned and changed itself into something new. Before her very eyes, his entire being altered, and he transformed into the shape of a wolf. It took no more than a minute or two, but the time seemed to stretch on forever.

She witnessed soft puffs of cream fur appear that seemed to burst right out of his skin. His fingers elongated, the nails growing out into sharp claws. The urge to run lasted a mere second before she was stepping forward in fascination.

Her fingers outstretched toward the furry muzzle that had once been Devon’s nose. She wasn’t frightened by him in the least. How could she be? He was the wolf! The one she’d seen outside the school staring into her classroom window.

She knew instantly he’d been there for her, watching over her as he awaited their reunion. She bet he had seen it playing out quite differently. Closing her eyes, she allowed her fingers to brush over the soft fur between his ears.

The sensation of it shook her to the core. Her body remembered it, recalled it like it was yesterday. Werewolf fur. She wasn’t sure if it was his fur in particular that felt so much like home, or if it was werewolf fur in general. Either way, it startled her just how much she longed to be near him in that moment.

Her eyes snapped open, and she stumbled back, unsteady on her feet. This was far too much to absorb in one afternoon. Her mind was racing, and she didn’t even know where to begin. As a result, she simply plopped down into the snow, stunned.


What exciting story are you working on next?
I am finishing up the last touches on the fourth installment of my Dating Tutor series. This one will feature Sasha.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
Ever since I was a little girl, I wanted to be an author. I wrote my first short story in second grade! It’s always been in my blood.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
For the last twelve years, I worked for the US government. I wrote when I could find time. Last January, I found out I was pregnant. I was given the opportunity to stay home and take care of my two beautiful children. I gave up government work to be Mom instead. This means I can write full-time, but anyone with kids knows just how little time I actually have for that. I probably have less time than when I was working!

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
Juice in wine glasses! When I’m ready for some serious writing, I’ve always got a wine glass at my side. Of course, it’s filled with juice or iced tea, but it is my feel good cup!

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A writer!

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
Not many people know this, but my writing name is a “shout out” to my son. His middle name is Frost, so I chose that for my writing name.

Links:

Buy links:   Bookstrand   All Romance eBooks    Evernight Teen     Amazon

Thanks for being here today, Melissa!



No comments: