Thursday, October 3, 2013

Interview with children's author Lakshmi Gosyne

Today, I have an interview with the author of Waiting for Dad: A Yoga Story for KidsLakshmi Gosyne.

Bio:
Lakshmi Gosyne is an author, illustrator and designer. She worked with John Wiley and Sons, Canada as a graphic designer before working full-time with children and getting her master's degree in Education.

Her 15 years of experience with children and teaching as well as her love for yoga converged into two Yoga for Kids books: A Jungle Walk and Waiting for Dad.

In fact, Jungle Walk was originally a yoga workshop for children in Child Care Centers.

Lakshmi is an avid traveler and has lived in Trinidad and Tobago, Toronto, Canada, New Zealand, and Thailand. She currently lives in Koh Samui, Thailand with her husband Jonathan.

Welcome, Lakshmi. Please tell us about your current release.
Waiting for Dad is about a boy named Rob waiting for his dad, who is really late. He starts using his imagination to think about where his father could be. The ideas become more and more imaginative until finally Rob’s father arrives and we find out that maybe Rob was on to something.

What inspired you to write this book?
As a teacher, it’s always been a bit harder to get boys to read. When I wrote my first book: Jungle Walk, I had a girl as the main character. I wanted a book that boys could relate to, become excited about and look forward to the yoga too. That’s where Waiting for Dad came in. It was a book that boys could relate to and that they would be interested in “acting out” through yoga poses.

Excerpt:



What exciting story are you working on next?
I’m working on a children’s picture book where the theme is moving to a new country. More and more immigrants are arriving in the U.S.A. and Canada as children and I wanted to write a book that looked at moving countries from a child’s perspective. No yoga in this new one though.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I first considered myself a writer when I attended my first Writers’ conference in New Zealand. Up until then, although I had been writing, I never thought of myself as a writer. I suddenly had an opportunity to pitch one of my stories, exchange information and ideas with prominent Children’s Writers in New Zealand and become involved in a few writers’ groups.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
Although I’d love to write full-time, I still need to pay the bills. My graphic design and illustrations is where I get the majority of my income from. I would love to make a living wage through my writing eventually.

I work from home and my days are flexible so I always have a few hours a week of uninterrupted time to write. I don’t have any children or pets yet, but I run my own business so things can get a bit difficult. Also, being in front of the computer all day really puts me off writing on the computer, so I often start with ideas and outlining on pen and paper before doing the “work” of typing out the first draft.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I am very particular about what music I’m listening to when I’m writing. When I’m thinking it’s Mozart. When I’m outlining it’s often in silence. Only when I’m typing up do I let my husband play his favorite Rihanna CD and sometimes even then, when I get stuck, will I go outside or to the beach.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
This one is quite embarrassing! I wanted to be an astronaut when I grew up. I think my dad took me to too many sci-fi movies when I was young. I love the idea of being a pioneer and learning new technology.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
I’m heading to North America (Canada and the US) from Thailand (where I currently live) in October. Lots of happy events: my sister’s having a baby and my cousin is getting married. I’m excited to be coming home!

Ways to connect:

Thanks, Lakshmi!

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Thank you so much for interviewing me! It was so much fun.