Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Book blurb blitz for The Book of Phinn by Frank Anjakos

Today, Reviews and Interviews is a book blurb blitz tour stop for the YA paranormal romance novel The Book of Phinn by Frank Anjakos.

Frank will be awarding a $25 Starbucks gift card to a randomly drawn commenter during the tour. So, leave a comment below to be entered to win, and if you'd like to increase your chances of winning, visit other stops and leave comments there. 


Blurb:
Hey, Phinn here.

I'm an Angel. A 16-year-old immortal. You don't know me. You've never seen me. Unless you're a dead teenager and you've been good and live in Southern California (narrows it down, huh?). If that's the case, we've probably met. See, I take the souls of good kids to Heaven, but I'm not allowed to interact with the living...which makes high school, being on the soccer team and writing for the school newspaper a little difficult. As an angel, I play by the rules.

My "arch-frenemy" Iszn, the demon who takes the bad kids to Hell, breaks all the rules...which is why he's one of the most popular kids in school. Iszn's hobbies are football, human girls, football, torturing me, football and evil....did I mention football?

Anyway, as an Angel I try not to have any direct contact with humans...well, that is until I met this girl. Actually, until she met me...it's kind of complicated. That's one of the reasons I write my blog...to let you guys in on a world you probably didn't even know existed...until it's too late, anyway.

But this world does exist, and it's about to get complicated. There are some deaths we can't explain and only Iszn and I seem to want to get to the bottom of them. It's going to cost us...a lot, but we can't let it go.

So ya, enjoy the blog...comment if you want. I read all the comments and try to respond. And don't let Iszn freak you out...to my knowledge, he's never actually eaten anyone's face.

Cya inside :)

Excerpt:
Ok, let’s clear up a few things.

In most ways, Iszn and I aren’t the same. I mean we come from seriously different places and we have completely different jobs and ideas on what we’re supposed to be doing.

Iszn kisses humans. I don’t. There’s a reason I don’t, though. The breath of an Angel has an effect on people.

You know how in vampire movies sometimes a vampire will bite someone and they’ll be all “ooohhh…ahhh…” and they’ll get all squishy and stuff, instead of like screaming and slapping the guy and yelling “What are you doing? That hurts!”

Well, that’s what an Angel’s breath does to humans. It gives them the ‘swoon.’ That’s what we call it when a human gets squishy with Angel breath.

Now, Iszn, on the other hand…when he breathes on a human, they get the ‘charm.’ It’s darker and more serious than the swoon. When a human gets charmed, they’ll basically do anything the demon tells them to. They’re kind of owned. At least until it wears off.

Obviously, a swoon isn’t as bad as a charm. But I still think it’s wrong. It’s just not right to make someone feel something…anything…that they don’t, simply because you can.

Iszn doesn’t agree. Iszn is a big fan of “I can do it, so there’s no reason I shouldn’t.”

There’s another thing, too. Iszn is the most popular guy in school. He’s captain of the football team. He’s smart. He’s funny. He’s good looking, like only an Immortal can be. SOOOO, he has many many groupies…both guys and girls. They follow him around because he is impressive as…well…as Hell. There’s no other way to put it.

I suspect that he charms some of them, but I can’t prove it, and he won’t admit it to me. And quite honestly, I don’t even want to know.

But there it is.

So, I’m not rushing into kissing Ashley. I could never be sure she was kissing me because she likes me. I’d never swoon her. I think she does like me, though. And I know I like her.
If she couldn’t see me…if none of this was happening, then I’d eventually move on. As an Angel I’m master of my feelings, so I’d enjoy the falling in love, suffer over the fact that it could never be, and then let it go. I’ve done it before…I could do it again.

But for whatever reason, I don’t have to. She does see me, and for the first time since the dawn of time, someone that I like, likes me back.

Do you know how weird that is for me? 100% weird.

So you can understand why I don’t want to screw this up. You can understand how big a deal this is for me. You can understand why I lay in bed at night and wonder why all this is going on. And I think you can understand why I’m not taking Iszn’s advice.


Author information:
Frank Anjakos lives in the Wild West, where he avoids writing about anything Western. Upon graduation from college in Michigan he was unwilling to get a real job, and so went to law school at the University of Arizona, where he studied listlessly, overcome by the desert heat, and obtained a law degree in the usual amount of time. After recovering from the stifling law school style of writing, he returned to his true passion, fiction…both writing and living it. Coerced by his son Finn, he turned away from adult science fiction and began writing children’s books. Now, if he could just get his son to actually read one.



3 comments:

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thank you for hosting

Catherine Lee said...

Your son hasn't read any of your books? Do you tell him stories? Maybe you can read him one of your books as a story. I'm a librarian and we're always looking for ways to engage reluctant male readers, especially with our YA collection.
catherinelee100 at gmail dot com

bn100 said...

That was nice

bn100candg at hotmail dot com