Thursday, November 8, 2012

New interview with author Kathryn Elizabeth Jones

We first met today's guest in MayKathryn Elizabeth Jones is back today to chat about her latest project, and her first in the cozy mystery genre, Scrambled.

Bio:
Kathryn is a writer of fiction and nonfiction and has published for many years. Her new business, Idea Creations Press, has just opened its doors to authors interested in POD publishing. Scrambled is is her first cozy mystery.

Kathryn, welcome back to Reviews and Interviews.

Please tell us about your newest release. 
My new release is entitled, Scrambled. It's my first cozy mystery and I'm excited about delving even further into the realms of mystery in the books to follow. Susan thinks to have a better life by leaving her husband, only to discover that life isn't always better on the other side of the fence. Murder creeps in soon after her move to the old hotel and doesn't let up, not even after she gets help from the eccentric Ms. Martha Boaz. If anything, things only get worse.

What inspired you to write this book? 
A few years ago I was taking a creative writing class at the local college and was given an assignment to write a short story. I quickly realized, however, that what I was writing was a novel.

What’s the next writing project? 
The next Susan Sleuth Mystery, Sunny Side-Up. Susan takes a cruise, but it's not like anything she expected.

What is your biggest challenge when writing a new book? (or the biggest challenge with this book) 
When writing a new book, my biggest challenge, especially with mysteries, is keeping all of the facts straight and studying up on everything I don't have a handle on--research is big with a cozy mystery.

If your novels require research – please talk about the process. Do you do the research first and then write, while you’re writing, after the novel is complete and you need to fill in the gaps? 
I do a bit of research to get going. I really need to know how the person is murdered. I need to know the main characters and the setting. After that I get writing. When I get stuck, I stop writing and research what is needed before I continue. Often, the characters have a mind of their own. They take me places I hadn't planned on, and certain new characters jump on board that I hadn't planned on inviting.

What’s your writing space like? Do you have a particular spot to write where the muse is more active? Please tell us about it. 
My writing space is my computer and office. The place is cluttered with papers and music and books and all of the paraphernalia that a writer needs. I try to clean it off weekly so that I can see the desk top. There is a window right in front of my so that I can look out and see the sky and an accordion type door to shut when I really need to be alone. Oh, and a new small fridge with water. Now I take a few steps, grab my water, and sit back down. No more traveling to the kitchen.

What authors do you enjoy reading within or outside of your genre? 
I enjoy Christian fiction big time. I love C.S. Lewis and all he has to offer, both in fiction and in nonfiction. My favorite book is Mere Christianity.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers today? 
I guess you can call me a cross genre writer. While I love writing Christian Fiction and nonfiction, I also love the fun and intrigue involved in writing a mystery.

Thank you for coming back to Reviews and Interviews!

You're very welcome.


No comments: