Friday, October 12, 2012

Tag, I'm It! A look at a work in progress

Have you seen the new blog tag going around? Mystery author Judy Alter tagged me, so today I'm answering 10 questions about one of my works-in-progress and happily refer you, my readers, back to Judy's blog to read about her writing and other musings.

So, here are the questions I was given, and my answers, such as they are.

What is the working title of your book?
So far, it's called Mark's Legacy. Nothing else has popped up yet, but I'm sure this will not be the final title.

Where did the idea come from for the book?
Creative commons use from Eric__I_E
I grew up in a home that has been in my family for generations and always had a fondness for the attic. There were several old trunks up there for many years, and since I've always had a fondness toward ghosts and time travel, after seeing an old trunk for sale, the story was triggered. 

What genre does your book fall under?
Paranormal mystery, I'd say.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Great question! I haven't thought about, but now...let's see...for Mark, the protagonist, I'd love David Giuntoli (he currently stars in the TV show Grimm), and it would be perfect for his grandfather to be played by Sam Elliott.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Mark doesn't have time to drive to Vermont and 'claim' the trunk his grandfather left him as an inheritance, but once at the rustic homestead, Mark finds himself drawn into the past in a way he never could have imagined.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
I'll shoot for traditional publication first, and see what happens.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
Hee hee. It's always hard for me to know when the 'first draft' is done. Actually, I'm thinking about using November's NaNo (National Novel Writing Month) to do a re-write of the novel and see what new things I discover about Mark and his grandfather.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
I really don't know...maybe an old Hardy Boy's or Nancy Drew mystery where they discover something in a trunk, mixed with Back to the Future.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
My muse. And my love for my grandparent's - this is the first story I've ever written where I focus a lot on grandparents and it's brought back a lot of fond memories of my childhood.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
Hhhm. I'm a New England author writing a book set in New England (specifically NH and VT), so that might be of interest. It has elements of family relationships and what it would be like to be able to meet your grandparents *before* they are your grandparents.

So, that's a look at one of my works-in-progress. Does it sound like something you'd pick up?

2 comments:

Rita Wray said...

This sounds like a great book. By the way I love Sam Elliot.lol
Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

Lisa Haselton said...

Thanks, Kit! :)