Thursday, November 10, 2011

Interview with non-fiction writer Rochelle Melander


Today's guest is Rochelle Melander. She has a book for people who want to get a book written and is stopping here as one of several virtual book tour stops with VBT Cafe.

Readers: Rochelle is offering a print copy of Write-A-Thon to a lucky commentor at each of her tour stops, so comment here and at other blogs she stops at to increase your chances of winning.

Bio:
Rochelle Melander is the CEO of Write Now! Coach, a writing, editing, and coaching practice that she founded in 2001. Her 10th book, Write-A-Thon: Write Your Book in 26 Days (and Live to Tell About It) released in October 2011.

As the Write Now! Coach, Melander coaches professionals, executives, writers, business owners, and aspiring authors. Write Now! Coach Rochelle Melander values the power of writing to change the lives of writers and readers. She teaches aspiring authors how to make time to write, shape their ideas into a book or product, sell their work, and navigate social media.

Write Now! Coach evolved from Ms. Melander’s related careers as an author, feature writer, copywriter, editor and coach. Rochelle writes a popular Ezine, Write Now! Weekly Writing Tips, blogs regularly, and hosts the Write Now! Mastermind Class.

She lives in Milwaukee, Wisconsin with her husband, the writer Harold Eppley, and their two children.

Please tell us about your current release.
Write-A-Thon: Write Your Book in 26 Days (And Live to Tell About It) is designed to be a complete guide to writing a fiction or nonfiction book fast. Write-A-Thon is different from other books in several ways:

*Write-A-Thon presents a complete system for training for and writing a book in 26-days.
*The book is about HOW to write. It’s not written just for people who are already writers (thought it can help them, too). It’s written for the ordinary person who wants to write a book but does not know how.
*The book is packed full of tools and ideas for getting writing done. No more excuses!
*Write-A-Thon includes information specifically designed for two groups of writers: those who want to plot and write a novel and those who want to research and write a nonfiction book.
*The book is easy to use and follow. I recognize that people who pick up a book on writing want a tool they can access quickly. For that reason, Write-A-Thon is divided into short chapters.

What inspired you to write this book?
I have always liked marathon-style writing. I do best when I can focus intensely on one project for a few weeks at a time. I meet a lot of people who want to write a book but never seem to get around to it. I wrote Write-A-Thon for people who want to write a book, but don’t know how to write a book, manage their crazy schedules, or finish a project. I wrote to help these writers overcome their excuses and doubts and finish their book projects.

What exciting story are you working on next?
I am revising last year’s NaNo project, a series of chapter books for young people. Last year I wrote two and a half of those books. I am thinking about writing a few more for this year’s NaNo project. I love the characters I created for that project, so I am looking forward to getting back to them.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I’ve been writing for many years—since I was a kid. In the early days of my career, I wrote a lot of books and articles with my husband. In 2000, when I started attending coaching school, I also began writing a monthly ezine. Even though I had already published books, the regular discipline of writing that ezine helped me to define myself as a writer.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
I do not write full time. I am a certified professional coach, so I also see coaching clients and lead coaching groups. In addition, I also edit a periodical and books for individual clients. I’m fortunate in that I am able to do all of my work on my own schedule, so I can write first thing, when I am best able to write. I do my client work later in the day.

On a typical day, I get up early, and read something inspiring while I eat. I work a bit on writing before my kids get up. During the summer, I walk the dogs and then come back and write. During the school year, I take my daughter to school, go to the Y to work out, and come home and write. I take a break around 11 AM to eat lunch. After lunch, I check email, Facebook, and Twitter. I spend the afternoon working with clients. I do have a few days when I see clients in the morning. On those days, I try to get up early to get in my writing time. At the end of the day, I check in with email and social media again. On a good day, I am out of my home office by 5 and ready to hang out with my family, walk the dogs (again!) and read a book. When life is busier, and I have a book deadline, I will sometimes do reading or research at night.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I have been known to wear a tiara at times, especially when I need to write in a royal voice! I keep it on my bookshelf for days when I need that little extra oomph to get going. Also, I like to write first thing in the morning. I am like a guard dog, fiercely protecting my morning time. When I have to go to a meeting or talk to people before I write, I get really crabby.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be Cher or Carol Burnett. I watched their television shows and thought there would be nothing more wonderful than performing all the time! In the summer, I would make up skits and plays and put them on in the back yard.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
Write your book. Don’t write what other people want you to write or what you think will sell. Write the book that you most want and need to read. When you fall in love with a project, you will have no trouble finding the time you need to work on it.

People can find me on Twitter at @WriteNowCoach.

Folks, Rochelle is offering a print copy of Write-A-Thon to a lucky commentor at each of her tour stops, so comment here and at her other blog stops to increase your chances of winning.

Thank you so much for stopping here as you tour Write-A-Thon, Rochelle. Write on.

No comments: