Thursday, June 23, 2011

Interview with fantasy and paranormal writer Wendy Callahan


Today's guest is fantasy and paranormal writer Wendy L. Callahan. She talks about her newest release from Damnation Books, Dead Wrong.

Bio:
Wendy L. Callahan is a Priestess, writer, homeschooler, and genealogist from Massachusetts, currently living in England with her husband, son, caique (kī-EEK - a parrot), and two cats (one of whom is certifiably demonic).

She has walked the Goddess path since 1984, and most of her fiction writing tends to include an element of Paganism or magick. Her writing has appeared in numerous Pagan periodicals, the independent paranormal comic book, “The Necropolis Chronicles”, and she is author of the novella Dead Wrong.

Wendy, welcome! Please tell us about your current release, Dead Wrong.
Shiva is a vampire who would rather let go of the painful memories of her past. Unfortunately, a piece of her past walks back into her life in the form of a vampire slayer named Desmond. Even as they become lovers, Shiva holds him at arm's length for fear of secrets being revealed. Desmond sets out to understand why Shiva is so guarded and self-protective, and ultimately uncovers all of the details of a murderous plot set in motion by the organization in which he had so much faith.

What inspired you to write this book?
It was either 1993 or 1994. A small group of us were playing “Chill” at the local comic book store after hours. While the characters in the book are not identical to the characters we played, and the plot is definitely not the same as the game that night, I was inspired many years later to develop a fictional short story based upon my friends as vampire slayers.

What exciting story are you working on next?
Would you believe that I have 25 stories in the works, all in various stages of completion? I write based upon my mood. Most of what I write is dark, urban, or Steampunk fantasy. My current focus is a romantic sword-and-sorcery fantasy, with a light Steampunk element to it. The manuscript is complete and I just need to put it out there to publishers. I am also actively working on a sequel to Dead Wrong, since people have been asking to learn about the characters in greater depth.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I would say in 3rd grade when I wrote, produced, and directed a play, which I cast my classmates. We performed the play for the 1st graders at our school, Fishkill Elementary. It was called “The Principal Who Hated Easter.”

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
I would absolutely consider myself a full-time writer. My day is scheduled and To-Do listed down to the minute sometimes (I’m very type A). I get up, work out, grab breakfast, and catch up on email, make sure my son is all set with breakfast, clean my caique’s cage, do errands and homeschooling, and that covers my morning. Afternoon is for writing, as is any time at the playground, or during homeschooling activities or classes outside of the house. From 1 p.m. until roughly 10 p.m., my day is devoted to writing and anything related to it – keeping in touch with my publisher, supporting other authors in their endeavors, connecting to readers through Shelfari, GoodReads, blogs, and more. For me, writing is definitely a full-time job and I love it. My husband actually has to force me to sit down and relax at night with video games when he gets home from work.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
This could be a tad embarrassing to share… I tell myself my stories. I mean, I actually speak to myself, in character, when ideas come to mind. This usually happens in the shower or while I’m driving – always in the least convenient places to write things down – so I think talking to myself actually reinforces what I want to remember, until I can get to my laptop or a pad of paper.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A writer! How boring am I? I also wanted to be an actress, an artist, and a fashion designer. All in all, I wanted a career that centered around being creative.

Thanks for stopping in, Wendy. You're inspiring with your writing pursuits...such variety. :)

1 comment:

April D said...

My sister's first interview!!! I'm so proud!! :-)